Sunday, June 3, 2007

thoughts and discipline

So when I signed up for this class, I didn't expect to be learning about computer programming. I just expected it to be a detailed experience of computer applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc; after all the title of the class is Intro to Computer Applications. I thought about talking to Dr. Wilkes about this because after the first week of class I was thoroughly confused on a number of issues. I wish he would be more straightforward on the items we need to know for quizzes and exams, but instead he goes off on tangents that seem to have no relevance to the lecture topic. I also wish he would provide some sort of day by day outline of the chapters we will cover, so I could at least try to read the book before each lecture on a specific subject. But after this second week of class I have come around to his teaching style and realized that he is just extremely passionate about computers. The lab we did on programming was difficult but enlightening. I just know now that this class is not going to be as easy as I first expected and it will take hard work and discipline to make a good grade. I am almost looking forward to what craziness he has planned for us in the future. So here is my extra credit picture: It captures the essence of the beauty of Price Park in the summer. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to experience a Boone summer, I encourage you to explore the mountains we are in and discover another world as well as some of the best kept secrets of North Carolina. If you are curious about a good place to check out, ask me and I will be more than happy to recommend some incredible places. Mary Webner

No comments: